View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 01:58

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
lost contact - a better solution 

Post lost contact - a better solution
hya,

if my editor s/w loses contact with the bs3x, the lost contact dialogue pop up window cant be closed, the editor cant be quit either, even switching the bs3x unit off doesnt reall help, as the software needs to be restarted in order for it to scan the usb ports, so why cant there be a more user friendly solution? like a popup dialogue that could be closed, or a rescan ports button be added....etc?

as it is, i have to force quit the app, and in a way its a more time wasting effort, esp. when somethings gone wrong, the last thing i need is loads of steps in the way of getting back to the beginning.

thanks

12 Aug 2008, 19:02
Profile WWW

are you using mac or win ?

yes your idea of addiing a button to rescan MIDI ports is nice, we will add it in a next release ..

13 Aug 2008, 08:59
Profile WWW

sometimes when i'm downloading a setup to the bs3x,

the link between the editor soft and the bs3x gets interrupted somehow, and connection with the bs3x is lost.

so i have to force quit my editor - because i cant close the "lost connection" popup, switch the bs3x off/on, then restart the editor.....

sometimes in extreme cases, i will need to initialise the bs3x, because it can often hang during downloading the next time - sometimes in the same place (group#/parameter#)

13 Aug 2008, 09:35
Profile WWW

i'm running editor/soft 1.5 on a mac OSX 10.4.11. powerbook G4 15", 1.25ghz, 2GB ram, USB2.0

to a bs3x HW1.2, FW1.8

13 Aug 2008, 09:36
Profile WWW

dont you have another midi soft connected to the bs3x that may send some events while you are programming your bs3x ?

Mac is multiclient, it means more than 1 soft can communicate with a same midi device, this is not the case on win.

The above may cause unpredictible results in your bs3x receive spurious events while being programmed.

13 Aug 2008, 09:39
Profile WWW

yes ive had some unpredictable results......

my hunch is that in my powerbook, i'm experiencing some difficulties with one particular USB port*, where sometimes when i plug the 3x into my right side USB port, the 3x is not seen by configsoft or even AudioMidiSetup app.

yet when plugged into my left side port, there's never these issues.

*besides the point - but part of my reaching this diagnosis, is that my right side exhaust fan doesnt run when the left side does (when my mac is very hot), i tracked it all down to the PMU ( a power management chip in the mac - responsible for the ports' power and power to fans etc ) i reset it with special mac commands at startup and all was fixed, no usb problems, fan started to work, but alas, yesterday it started behaving badly again.

13 Aug 2008, 09:46
Profile WWW

so from what I read here the issue does not come from your bs3x but from your mac USB port ?

13 Aug 2008, 09:49
Profile WWW

yes, it becoming clear that this port is the problem, hence the "lost contact" popup in config soft, but it would be useful for the popup to be close-able, and there to be a scan ports etc to the next version.

thanks

rB)

13 Aug 2008, 10:00
Profile WWW

does it matter that i'm using the configsoft 1.5 with the hardware 1.2, can this hardware run the fw 1.8 ok?

thats what i have so far, but i'm not sure if thats the intended use, now that hardware is at 2.0

13 Aug 2008, 10:21
Profile WWW

2.0 have been manufactured by CME, while 1.2 were manufactured by WaveIdea

13 Aug 2008, 10:23
Profile WWW

heya jerome, ive got my new macbookpro, and this problem still occurs frequently,

im using config soft 1.5, trying to dump the mackie config to the bs3x, and it keeps losing contact with the bs3x. the pop up window cant be closed the app cant be quit, except force quitting, and the bs3x hangs in the last state of part download.

i thought the problem mentioned above was due to an old powerbook, but its back here with a brand new machine, now im really doubting the integrity of the config soft, its always seemed unpredictable and untested to the degree it requires. therefore, im felling like i'm beta testing (call it what u like but im fuming at the consistent errors in this setup).

what could be the best solution for a macbook, usb, the config1.5, and a fix for frequent loss of usb contact with the soft/hardware?

26 Mar 2009, 14:06
Profile WWW

While connected to the config soft, do you also have other MIDI software opened ?

26 Mar 2009, 14:10
Profile WWW

Post Re: lost contact - a better solution
hya,

yeah usually im using ableton at the moment, luckily i havent had any more problems in the last few weeks, ive been using a new library - a copy of the mackie control. with also a usermode thats a hybrid of mackie fader controls, 1-8 track faders, and the xfade= master, but all by pots as my custom cc#, and not a loss ofcontact in a while, so im much happier

it really could be a bad string in the lib i was using for like 2 years with updated cc# bits n bobs, and crashes here n there, and resaves, and copies rolling over, so it might have been a bad block in the code caused by one early crash, im thinking this because my new library work is only limited in editing the first 5 groups. 0-4 and its a fast transfer, and no glitches yet.

ive new questions now actually. so mbe ill post a new topic.

16 Apr 2009, 19:15
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]